Submission for 2019 is closed!
General information about the proposal to be submitted in order to take part in the competition:
Students must work together to create a proposal in two parts:
- A written proposal of up to 1000 words that may be supported by diagrams or pictures (acknowledgements and a reasonable amount of words in figures not counted). It explains:
- Why you want to come to DESY;
- What you hope to take away from the experience;
- Your proposal on how you would like to use the particle beam line for your experiment.
- A 1-minute video that summarizes your written proposal in a creative, entertaining way and that introduces the members of the team.
Please note that the CERN and DESY logo are legally protected and any use by third parties is forbidden. However, the BL4S logo could be used if desired. Proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- The feasibility of the experiment
- Your ability to follow the scientific method
- The motivation of the experiment and why you want to come to DESY
- The creativity of the experiment and the 1-minute video
Note that the above points will be judged equally. We are not expecting a fully developed experimental proposal with a detailed setup and hypothesis. An idea on what you and your team want to find out or how you want to use the beam line communicated in a creative way is enough to take part. So do not worry if the technical details of the beam line facilities look a little daunting at first. We have provided several example experiments and people to contact for help.
Adults are encouraged to help students understand what the particle beam is capable of, but the students must create the proposal themselves. The winning teams will have the opportunity to work with DESY and CERN scientists to refine their ideas before they come to DESY.
Proposals must be received by midnight CET on 31 March 2019. Winners will be notified in June 2019.