Beamline for Schools: Terms and Conditions
Thank you very much for your participation! Please read the following terms and conditions regarding the Beamline for Schools competition carefully. Please also note that, by entering the competition, you will be deemed to have understood and agreed to them in full as follows:
- The deadline for team registrations and submission of the proposals and videos is midnight CET on 31 March 2019. We regret that late or non-compliant registrations or submissions will not be considered. Make sure to keep a backup copy of your proposal.
- The BL4S competition is intended for students around the 15-19 age bracket who, at the time of submitting their entry to the competition, are currently attending a secondary/high school.
In this context, participants should note that under the applicable safety rules in force at DESY, only students aged 16 and above are allowed on DESY's premises to conduct experiments. Accordingly, only those members of a winning team who are 16 years old at the time of their visit will be able to enter the DESY site for the competition. We appreciate participant’s understanding that our rules reflect international safety standards and as such there is no flexibility on this issue.
- CERN & DESY will select two winning proposals from the submissions. The teams behind the winning proposals will then be invited to DESY to execute their proposals as collaborative experiments, working with the other winning team.
Please note that, while there is no maximum team size in terms of participation in the proposal stage of the Beamline for Schools competition, the number of students per winning team that will be invited to DESY will be limited to a maximum of 9 students. In addition, in accordance with DESY’s internal safety rules, each winning team will need to be accompanied by up to two adult supervisors for the duration of their visit.
- Participants who, at the time of registration, are under 18 or are under the legal age of majority in the country where they are applying, must have the consent of their parent(s)/guardian(s) before registering. By submitting their registration application an applicant will be deemed to have been given such consent. Registrations made without such consent will be invalid.
- Any participant that subsequently travels to DESY as a member of a winning Beamline for Schools competition team will, in due course, need to ensure that she/he has health and accident insurance cover that is adequate for Germany and that the documents that prove that they have this cover are available for inspection during their visit to DESY.
- Respect copyright! Please do not include third-party content in your proposal without written permission. Note that this applies to still images, video and music. Any entry that violates copyright or other third-party rights will be disqualified. By submitting your proposal, you confirm to both CERN and DESY that your proposal is your own original work and only contains material that you have all necessary permissions to use. And of course, don’t use offensive or inappropriate material in your proposal!
- By entering your proposal in the competition, you consent to its subsequent potential publication by CERN and/or DESY and its use by either as part of their scientific and outreach activities. To this end you agree to vest all copyright in your proposal, together with any resulting data, in both CERN and DESY. Please note that the competition will entail education and outreach events involving references to the participants and their schools/institutions. By entering the competition, you will be deemed to consent to the use of your team’s name and its participation in the competition for CERN’s and/or DESY's education and outreach purposes. Details of your team and its proposal will also be shared with DESY and the International Particle Physics Outreach Group (IPPOG) for their outreach purposes.
- CERN and DESY may make interviews, recordings and images of participants and their activities in the context of this competition. CERN and DESY will only use such material as part of its education, outreach and fundraising activities.
- CERN and DESY may request further information from you in the selection process, if they consider that this information would be helpful for the evaluation of your proposal.
- CERN and DESY reserve the right to postpone, suspend, cancel or modify the competition at any time and for any reason, including in case of insufficient participation.
- CERN and DESY will apply utmost care to the selection of the winning proposals. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to communicate the reasons for any non-selection. The selection decisions are final and not subject to claim or appeal. No correspondence will be entered into by either CERN and DESY in this regard.